The Mauritian government also has the ability to lessen our reliance on honey imports, which account for 90% of our consumption. In this regard:
- Beekeepers will receive a subsidy of Rs 500 per Bee queen, up to a maximum of 10 queens.
- To secure the beekeeping zones, a one-off grant of Rs 150,000 will be given to each beekeeper.
- AMB will import beeswax in large quantities and resell it to beekeepers at a low cost.
- The CCTV camera acquisition scheme will be expanded to include bee honey producers.
- To enable year-round honey production, new mellifluous plants will be introduced.