Hand pruners / pruning shears (secateur) is a useful tool for maintaining and shaping your plants. They are used to make clean and precise cuts on small to medium-sized branches and stems. There are two types of pruners namely bypass pruners and anvil pruners. Pruning helps to promote new growth in plants and reduce the spreading of diseases to your entire plant.
1. Before using your pruners, make sure you clean and sharpen them. Use a sharpening tool to sharpen the blades. With sharp blades, you will be able to make cleaner cuts and minimize damage to the plants.
2. Remember to wear gloves and protective eyewear when using hand pruners to avoid accidents.
3. You need to position your pruners correctly. Hold the pruner with one hand and use your other hand to hold the branch or stem you want to prune. Keep in mind, position your fingers away from the blades to avoid potential accidents.
4. You can easily remove dead, damaged , disease branches with hand pruners. In addition pruning will help your plant to grow better.
5. Apply constant pressure and close the blades to make the cut. Avoid cutting too close to the main stem as it may damage your plant.
6. After pruning, clean your hand pruner / secateur , remove all dirt , and apply oil to the blades. Keep them in a dry place to avoid them from rusting.